Ceramic artist; born in Kanazawa in Kaga (today Ishikawa prefecture) in 1851. From 1900, he worked for Kinkozan Sobei’s workshop in Kyoto after his careers at numerous institutions in Ishikawa, Tokyo and Fukui in 1871-1889. In 1907, he opened his studio in Gojozaka, Kyoto. He studied ceramic techniques from Japan, Korea, China and modern Europe. For his outstanding technique of celadon production, he was appointed as an Imperial Household Artist (Teishitsu Gigeiin) in 1917.